Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Weekly Top Shot

I know this is called Weekly TOP SHOT - but indulge me - this was a special day - I finally, after weeks - got pictures of Red-Winged Blackbirds

I've been trying for weeks to get a clear photo of a Red-Winged Blackbird.  Every evening we go down to the ponds, set up the tripod and camera and attempt  to catch one, or two. Every evening they are too far away and even with my fabulous camera I couldn't get a clear photo.

Until today

We were driving out toward Concrete, WA - yes - it was a town founded on the producing of Concrete for the dams to provide electricity to Washington and British Columbia.  On the way to our destination I noticed some Black Bird Calls and marked in my mind the area, so we could stop on the way home.

There were quite a few Red-Winged Blackbirds, often sitting among the cat tails so I couldn't get a clear shoot - and then this fellow popped right up nearby and I clicked as long as he stayed on the branch - which wasn't very long.


He was lovely - and as cars rushed by on the busy road I too photos between the blasts of air from the passing cars - which jiggled our car and made for shaky photos.




He posed for a long time


He was calling at this time - and had ruffled his neck feathers so much that I couldn't see his head


The only female that sat on a cattail long enough for a photo

She was partly hidden by the cattails

It was so exciting - at last my Red-Winged Blackbirds.  We had room on the edge of the road to pull over and take photos.  The patch of marshy land and cattails was about a quarter of a mile long.  I'd take some photos until a bird flew off, then Don would move the car up along the shoulder of the road until I spotted another - stop the car and wait.  He asked me several times, "Are you remembering to breathe?".  I sometimes get so excited taking photos that I forgot to breathe.  Fortunately I eventually do.

This Blackbird was even closer - and sat on the branch, grooming his feathers

And calling

He doesn't look like the all black Red-Winged Blackbird, but my research show that he is a Red-Winged Blackbird


He spent a lot of time ruffling his feathers

Followed by his song

And looking about



Followed by more calling.

It certainly was an exciting day.











7 comments:

Cecilia said...

He was obviously looking for a lady friend. LOL

Laura said...

beautiful series!

joy said...

Wow, we dont have a bird like that over here in UK, its very attractive. The female looks a bit like a very large sparrow, or a hawk.
Joy xx

J said...

Great pictures and lots of fun capturing them. I am surprised that the female is so much different from the flashy, vibrant male. They are all beautiful!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Excellent photos of the Red-Winged Blackbirds! You must have had so much fun capturing them! We have a few of them around here but I have not photographed any.

Crispy said...

We have tons of them here as well as orials (sp?). I love to listen to them.

Crispy

Dave said...

WOW!!! That is all I can say, great photos I like them A LOT