Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"New" Dishes

Friday we went to a fabulous yard sale - it is open once a month, held in a big metal barn, spilling out on the the driveway - and always full of wonderfully affordable treasures. We have been going now for three years - and this year was excellent, as always.

My weakness is dishes - and they always have plenty to tempt me with.  The set I'm focusing on today was 10.00 - for 12 plates, 10 luncheon plates and 10 soup bowls - how could I pass that up?  And yet I did, and we were in the car - which was packed so full there wasn't an inch of space  left - and then I decided I wanted that set of dishes - back into the barn, cram one more box into the car - and off we went.  It was a fabulous day - pouring rain - cold - and fabulous.


The main thing I am focusing on is the set of flowered dishes from the yard/barn sale, but everything else in this post was either from a thrift shop or was a gift (purchased at a thrift shop).  We are a very thrifty bunch.


 Well, except for the tablecloth - it came from ebay - and was the deal of the century!!!  It is exactly the same tablecloth on the cover of my book about growing up in Alaska (see top of the blog) and I have wanted one for years.  On a whim I searched ebay and found this tablecloth, in perfect condition for just 12.00 and free shipping.  I was shocked - and talk about quick reactions - it was mine before you can say click, click, buy-it-now.




The pattern on the china is perfect for springtime

This silverware is similar to what we had when we first got married - we got it from Betty Crocker, using coupons only - I hear you can't do that anymore, you have to send money along with the coupons.  Somehow the silverware was lost in a move, and I've since found pieces of it here and there in thrift shops.  I tried ebay - but Betty Crocker silverware now seems to be very spendy, so thrift shops  it is - I only need more teaspoons and my set is once again complete.

The translucent white dessert dishes were from a flea market in town - there were lots of pieces and we later found a large platter to match.

Napkins from a gigantic flea market at the Skagit Vally Fairgrounds.  1.00 for a gallon baggy full of assorted vintage linens - I spent several dollars at that booth.



The green goblets from a second hand store on Camano Island

Six sided green depression glass from a friend in California, doily was in one of those zip bags at the Fairgrounds

Green handled silverware - had those so long I can't remember where I got them - was someplace in California


Pink Depression Glass bowl and small glass were a gift from my SIL Jason, they had belonged to his mother

Ready for luncheon




White translucent bowl - part of that set from the flea market in town.


  
Desert anyone?








12 comments:

Kay said...

You set a lovely table, JoAnn, and I'd be very jazzed to have accumulated all those beautiful pieces! You certainly have cause to celebrate going back to that sale. I've once or twice passed on something only to later regret it (and/or find it gone when I returned). I have countless garage sale/estate sale treasures. And we're starting to see them again on the Olympic Peninsula. Spring at last!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Beautiful!!! I love how all your mismatched flea market and thrift store finds just look like the were made to go together perfectly! My favorites are the green glassware and the beautiful crocheted tablecloth. And the silverware with the green handles, too.

Faye said...

How delicate and--as you say--springlike is your newest dish collection find. And I really admire the way you use so many different but complementary patterns together. You have a real eye for this.

Pondside said...

You have some great thrift shops down your way! I'd say you have done very well and your table is beautiful - springlike. You could host a spring luncheon, a bridal shower, a ladies' tea or a very pretty dinner party.....and the fun of putting it all together is nearly the best part!

Lois Andersen said...

You have set such a pretty table! I too have an eBay crochet table cloth I got for a wee bit! And I have some of the green glasses. Saw some round tables like you were looking for locally on Craig's list from time to time. Always wanted one...

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a lovely table, JoAnn! Everything is so sweet and pretty! I love the linens and the pink and green goes so well together. I love those green goblets and the translucent white dishes! What pretty silver just from Betty Crocker coupons! You have so many lovely finds and gifts and such a pretty way of putting them all together! xoxo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

So pretty, Jo! These were some great finds that I know you will love having! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Peggy said...

Oh, so pretty! I need to shop with you, you seem to find ALL the bargains!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

So many great finds. The flowered dishes are so pretty. $1.00 for a gallon sized bag of vintage linens is a real steal.

Crispy said...

OMGosh I love all those dishes!! Such pretty linen would last two seconds with Bob the slob LOL.

Crispy

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

I love all your dishes posts....how amazing about the tablecloth find! : )

Liz Burton said...

Wow I love your mix n match place settings.

The white milk glass is especially beautiful.