Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, March 22, 2013

Random Five Friday

Again Friday - and promise of sunshine and warming temperatures clear through the end of the month.

And Five Random Things about me - well, maybe a little  more than five.

I love dishes - I look for anything interesting  at yard sales, flea markets and thrift shops. I rarely shop at antique stores, though we did own an antique store one time - eons ago.


1. I have sets of dishes


Serving bowl sets with berry bowls to match




A breakfast set of Dogwood dishes that belonged to my wonderful Great Aunt Elizabeth, passed on to my by my sweet cousin Linda, thank you.


A luncheon set with pansies


A set of Jadeite - it can be for sumer or for christmas - and I have many many serving pieces, plus a set of green depression glass that goes quite well with the Jadeite

My Granny's set of Desert Rose, enough to serve 12

A large set of Holly Dishes that get used all holiday long




And a set of Pyrex individual baking dishes

2. I have tea sets

 This child size tea set was a gift to myself for a job promotion

A flowered tea set for spring 




And a glass domed,  pedestal cake plate that my son carried on the plane all the way from West Virginia for christmas one  year. It is also great for springtime cupcakes.  This is the first place my grandson Ben looks when he comes to visit, in case there are some cupcakes for him.  What do you think?

3. I have dishes that look like an object


 Twelve of these white chickens sitting on baskets, they make great jam servers, or individual dishes for scrambled eggs at brunch.  I also have 6 of the larger chickens on baskets

A soup tureen that looks like a cabbage

And a cookie jar that looks like a house.  Don got this for me from Sears when our oldest daughter was just two.  He took her shopping and told her to keep it a secret.  She came home, bursting to tell me something and she said, I'm not going to tell you what we bought, but we got you a house and a picture of words.  (The picture of words was a wall hanging with a poem on it.

4. I have interesting dishes

I made these napkins with loons on them to match the black and white checked glasses 

Dessert plates with botanical drawings on them

Luncheon plates with apples - I live in Washington, this is a must.

5. I have dishes for specific uses


A wooden chip and dip bowl - can be used for vegetables and dip too

A wooden basket for apples - a gift from grandson  Ben and his family.


A big yellow bowl for making apple pie  



And for cleaning strawberries - useful bowl.

So there you have it - Five things about me and my dishes - and there are oh so many other things I could have shown you, I have lots of dishes - chicken breakfast dishes, Loon dishes, Depression Glass in all sort of colors, Pine Cone dishes, colored Pyrex baking dishes - and more, much more. We use them all, and enjoy them so much.



































11 comments:

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

Wow! You must a big place to keep them! And careful people in your house! Not sure what John and Celeste do... but our dishes are always chipped or breaking! Would love to have gorgeous dishes for a variety of occasions! ah... someday

Nancy said...

JoAnn, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your post. I love dishes as well -- but don't have near as many as you! They are all so lovely.

Thanks for sharing at R5F this week. Hope to see you again!

Veronica Roth said...

Hi JoAnn, I loved seeing your sets. :) I have those chickens too, and also a cabbage looking soup thingie! I have them mostly in ironstone but the cabbage is green and the inside is a lovely yellow. Love them to pieces.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, you must have a large storage area for these. gorgeous collection. i love the pansy set & the Christmas holiday set with the holly. so neat!! thanks for sharing.

enjoy your weekend. ( :

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I enjoyed seeing some of your dishes--such lovely sets! I love dishes, too, especially old dishes or those that have been passed down in the family. I don't have a good place to display them, though, so a lot are in boxes.

Mary said...

I LOVE all these dishes. The plates with pansies are divine. :) And the Pyrex! I have a set from my grandmother. It's awesome.

Jeanne said...

Oh my... I wouldn't have room for all those dishes. I really love the very first pattern. I would buy that if I saw it.
My mother was like you. She just loved dishes and table settings, accessories etc. Sweet reminder her of her flair.

Rambling said...

I love dishes too but unfortunately don't have room for much of a collection! Looks like you really enjoy your's - thanks for sharing.

Faye said...

What pleasure you must get out these wonderful collections, JoAnn. They're all beautiful but the Jadeite really speaks to me.

On an entirely unrelated note--am looking at your heading and looks like you've traveled extensively. If so, where have you visited or lived? Best places?

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, JoAnn, I have serious dish envy right now! The dogwood dishes, the pansy dishes, the jadeite and depression glass - oh, be still my heart! My Dear Mother collected dishes just like you, a different set for every occasion and cookie jars and teapots. She would have loved the cabbage soup tureen. I love what your little daughter told you, that they bought you a house. How sweet! Lovely dishes and sweet stories. Thanks for sharing. xoxo

Fran said...

That is a LOT of dishes. How ever do you find storage for them all. I remember the Desert Rose pattern. It was all the rage when my generation was getting married. Beautiful collection.