Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, March 22, 2013

A Favorite Thing

I have so many favorite things - but this week it has to be the afghan I just finished crocheting.  When I was a kid, everyone seemed to have one of these afghans on the back of their sofa - and I always wanted one. I've made quilts and I've made afghans - but until now I never got around to this one.  I use Caron Simply Soft Light yarn - it is a sport weight, and very soft, and the loveliest colors, as you can see.  I had emergency back surgery in November and have had a lot of time to sit - so the crochet hook was flying.


The models for today are my Madame Alexander Dolls - Miss Poppy Sunshine, and Miss Abigail Clarissa Wellington-Jones - you can guess who is named what.


Poppy and Abigail just love their  the new afghan


They just can't get enough of the gorgeous colors


And the soft yarn

 Miss Abigail shows you the lovely scalloped border

While Miss Poppy likes to show how the colors match her outfit


They asked me to put the afghan on the back of the sofa


Oh - they want you to see their outfits.  Miss Poppy is wearing her pink sandals with a blue leopard print top and lavender tutu over white shorts. Her pink mitts match her bow and sandals.
Miss Abigail is wearing a hand knit ensemble of pink shortie nightie and a lacy knit robe - a perfect set for her the new afghan.

A close-up please

Shhh - it seems Miss Abigail is more ready for bed than she first thought.

Nighty night

















24 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, I am jealous of Miss Abigail and Miss Poppy getting to snuggle up to that gorgeous and soft looking afghan! The colors are so yummy, they make me smile, and I am sure the two little Misses are just delighted with their beautiful new blankie. I do love their outfits, and think they are very stylish little girls, even if I am jealous of them right now! xoxo

joy said...

A beautiful afghan. My mum has made loads, she gives them to people as wedding presents and I still have mine after almost 25 years. Also loving Poppy and Abigail, you've given me ideas for next year.
Joy xx

aspiritofsimplicity said...

very pretty.

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

My mom has one somewhere that her grandmother made. I remember it fondly.... hmm I wonder where it is?

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

I'm sure yours is much softer since yarns these days are much better!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Its so pretty! I recognized that one was a Madame Alexander since I'd ordered one for myself ( OOPS I MEAN MY GRANDDAUGTER ) not too long ago. Then I got a Journey doll for myself ( OOPS I MEAN MY GRANDDAUGHTER ) a few weeks after that! :) I wonder if you knitted the sweater and other items for the doll as well...

Claudia said...

Your afghan is beautiful - you did a great job! Oh, I remember Madame Alexander dolls - they've been around a long time. Yours are so lovely and I like their inventive taste in clothing!

Thanks so much for joining in this week!

xo
Claudia

JCDiTaranto said...

The epitome of everything a granny square afghan should be!

My Little Home and Garden said...

Once again I see crochet work and think that I must learn how to do it!

Balisha said...

I have always loved those afghans. I don't crochet...so I have to enjoy other's.
Balisha

Sally Annie Magundy said...

I love your afghan, so charming! ARGH I never learned to knit and crochet.

I am very envious of Miss Abigail and Miss Poppy's luxuriant hair. I would like to lounge around the house under a lovely afghan and look so fetching and foofy!

Happy weekend, thanks for the smiles!

My Little Home and Garden said...

Thank you for bringing your post over to "Sunlit Sunday". I trust that Miss Poppy Sunshine will feel right at home. She can be the mascot for this week!

-Karen

Anonymous said...

Lovely afghan and dolls.

Patty said...

Yes, the colors are very pretty. Love granny square afghans. Your dolls are so sweet!

Jocelyn said...

My Mom made an afghan in the granny squares oh so many years ago. I still have it. You are right, it was quite the rage back in the 70's.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It is a beautiful afghan! I have several that my Grandmother made!
hugs,
Linda

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your afghan is gorgeous! Love the way the colors pop against the black. And you chose the perfect models for this photo shoot, too! :-)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a beautiful afghan and I love your dolls! I have a lot of dolls and a few similar to yours. They are fun to dress, aren't they? Happy Sunday!

Susan Freeman said...

Beautiful dolls. Madame Alexander has always produced the most beautiful dolls. Your new afghan is gorgeous! Oh how I wish I could crochet granny squares. Still struggling with it.

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Pondside said...

The afghan is lovely - I haven't made squares for a long time, but I can see that I should be. I have lots of bits of baby yarn that would work.

Unknown said...

Beautiful afghan and dolls too. The very first afghan I ever made was the Granny Square. Over thirty years ago and I still have it. Making two zig zag now for high school grads to take to college. Visiting from Sunlit Sunday. I love the dolls, our grands have the American Dolls.
Blessings
QMM

Lorrie said...

Pretty dolls and a pretty afghan. Love the jewel colours.

Haworth said...

Oh, JoAnn that afghan is just beautiful. My mother used to make those 'flower garden' crocheted afghans and we still have two of them. Your handwork is so even and lovely. Oh! and I love using Caron Simply Soft yarns. I bought some grey to make socks and some ivory to make a baby blanket and both projects are just so soft. Take care.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love that little crochet coat! These dolls are gorgeous!