Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, October 4, 2013

Random 5 Friday

Hmm, five things, now let's see - anything particularly interesting this week?  Nope.  Anything out of the ordinary?  Nope.  It has been one of those good, ordinary, everyday weeks.  The kind that makes you settle down in your soft chair, with a cup of tea, and say, "Oh this has been a good week."




1. We took down the Heron wind chime - you just knew I had a heron wind chime, didn't you?  We don't get much wind here but when we do it batters the poor old heron, so into the shed until spring.

2. The leaves are beginning to turn a little - it is Don's favorite time of the year.  This are Big Leaf Maples, some of the leaves are as big as dinner plates.

Woods just down the road from our house.


3. I took the last photos of the summer flowers at Joe's Gardens - our favorite farm stand - and it is right in town.  The flowers will all be gone by this weekend - picked for bouquets and the plants pulled out.  They had a glorious summer - so did we.




4. I got a bee in my bonnet this week and decided I needed to change the cover on my book about my childhood growing up in Alaska in the 50s, before Alaska was a state.  I changed it to bright blue background - for one day - then changed it right back to the soft, old fashioned look.  (Thank you Franni for the input).  Not sure what made me do that - but I'm happier now that it is back to its original look.  

It is available in print and on Kindle at amazon.com .  A good book to snuggle up with on these cool autumn nights (well, it is cool and brisk here, not sure how autumn is for the rest of the world, or spring in the southern hemisphere - it is good for spring reading too)



5. I made a collage poster for Don's office of our three grandsons.  This poster is 18"x24".  I ordered it today, it should be here early next week.  Jahn-Zyel is 12, Ben is 8 1/2 and Donnie was just 2 in June.  Such handsome and smart boys.  We are indeed the luckiest grandparents in the world!




15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your wind chime very much. The autumn colours are beautiful, they are coming in slowly over here. Your collage poster is a good idea, three very good looking boys.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

my hubby does not like my wind chimes at all - really loud when the wind really blows ... i love them. i would love a big chime that sounds like a church... so beautiful. but they are like $400 or more for one of those. i can dream. ( :

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

The poster is wonderful! In regards to Beth's comment about wanting a big chime that sounds like a church, I was gifted with one at Christmas ( cost about 80.00 or so on sale ) by sales director / it rang TOO much ALL of the time so it now has a sock in the middle shutting it up unless there is a major wind, ha ha
The woods and flowers are lovely :)
And...you, madame, with your one million teapots and cups and dishes and all might be interested in this : just got an invite from the blogger over at We Call It Junkin' and she's starting a vintage party on Tuesdays called "we call it Olde" where you show something vintage or do a story about something vintage etc. See you next Tuesday ...now my favorite is your Jadite, just sayin' :)

Nancy said...

Funny comments about wind chimes -- seems women like them and men, not so much. :)

I love your heron -- it blows so much here, my wind chimes usually only last a couple of seasons.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Love the wind chime love the poster of your Grandchildren and I absolutely love the photos of the bush. B

Snap said...

I love your heron wind chime. A girl can never have too many wind chimes! Great idea to make the poster -- the grands are too cute! the thing i miss the most living down here -- we have no real color change ... everything stays green and suddenly there are no leaves. I enjoyed seeing your color. Have a lovely week.

J said...

When I first glimpsed the heron my initial reaction was that it was real - and who but JoAnn would be the one who could capture it so crystal clear, in flight and smiling at us all!
Maybe someone could invent a battery operated wind chime - just random, gentle clangs that don't need wind to make their music!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Big Leaf Maples are amazing!

Hootin Anni said...

I first my say, I LOVE the collages!!! Even you header is extraordinary!!! And then...the windchime! I'm an avid birder, and would LOVE to have a heron windchime. Wow...I bet it has a great tone.

I'm new to Random 5 this week, and thought I'd try and get the gist of it all by paying you a visit!! Happy weekend.

Jeanne said...

Love your wind chime. Also, it was nice to get one last glimpse of the summer flowers. We had such a beautiful summer, I'm just not ready for it to be over.

Karen said...

What a great poster of your grandies!

Latane Barton said...

What an unusual wind chime. I bet it sounds just as lovely as it looks. Those are some wonderful photos of your grandchildren. I know you are proud.

Rose said...

That collage of flowers is wonderful! Mine are all gone.

greenthumb said...

So many pretty flowers, great poster.

Lorrie said...

It's lovely to end the week knowing that you've accomplished something. I can see that a wind chime would be clanging loudly during our winter storms. Your heron makes a wonderful chime that you'll be glad to see next spring.