Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, May 17, 2013

Random Five Friday

I was thinking about flowers - and the flower collages I have made over the years - you'd be surprised.  So with my 5 Random Thoughts today I decided to share - or re-share the flower collages - I have so many I could make a collage of collages - but we won't go there.


So 5 Random Things about me - let me think.


1. I like to design things - I've designed quilts - and even made them when I was done designing.  I drew out and designed a green house when we lived in California - Don did the building.  I designed our new deck because I didn't like the designs available - I enjoy designing.


2. I can do math in my head - long, complicated, complex numbers of addition and subtraction, but multiplication baffles me and makes my brain soggy.


3. My favorite part of gardening is picking - flowers, vegetables - it doesn't matter which - I love to harvest.  When our oldest daughter and I would garden together in California, we would do a harvest dance, carrying our harvest in the house, singing and dancing.  (We were the ones singing and dancing - not the vegetables - just in case you were wondering.)



3. I like wind - and storms - and rain - and wild seas.  I like the energy before a storm and the glory of a good strong storm - you can leave out tornadoes and hurricanes - otherwise I love a good stormy day.








4.  I collect watermelon "things".  Once I even painted our mailbox to look like a slice of watermelon.  We were easy to find - go down our road until you come to the watermelon mailbox - turn and go up the hill to our house.  I have enough watermelon items to do another whole post - watch for it soon.  You have been warned!




5. I love hot air balloons but have no desire to go up in one.  I will chase them to take photos - I will watch in awe and wonder - but I won't ride in one. So you want to put me in a little basket, attached to a flammable meltable balloon and then put a big fire inside it?  I think I'll pass. 





11 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Wow, those collages are beautiful! I can see in them your love of and your obvious gift of designing.

I love to hear the wind in the tree leaves before a thunderstorm. It's like they're whispering to each other, watch out!

Lynn said...

delightful post, you design beautiful collages, I am sure your g/house and deck are as successful. Numbers make my head hurt, harvesting is fun.

Anonymous said...

Love your watermelon mailbox.. If I'd come across it in my NW travels, I'd have 'shot' it and posted it on my blog!

Deb said...

I have to agree on the Hotair balloon...they are beautiful...but so dangerous..your flowers are beautiful....I love that you dance and sang...that is awesome...

Deb said...

my brother and law and sister in law live in Bellingham too

Nancy said...

Loving the mailbox! What a great idea. And you flower collages are such a treat. Thanks so much for sharing at R5F this week. xo

Kay said...

Those are great collages - LOVE them! - and I love the mailbox, too! I'm impressed with anyone who can do mental math - you can hear gears grinding when I try it. And you'd love the wind where we live. Our part of Sequim juts out into the Strait of Juan de Fuca and gets wind that feels like it's come all the way from Asia. Designing's fun, especially when it results in something nice.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Gorgeous collages, JoAnn! Love all the random bits of this and that about you! My Dad could do algebraec equations in his head, too (tool and die maker). As for me, math makes me cry. Thank goodness for calculators! Oh, I love the wind,too and how it turns the leaves upside down and silvery before a storm, but my dog, Whitey is scared of the wind and won't go out in it. You show your design talent in your beautiful posts. xoxo

Rambling said...

Great photos and I love the watermelon mailbox.

Mary said...

Spectacular flower collages! :) I can't choose a favorite. All equally wonderful.

Nope. I'll never go up in one of those balloons either. Not moi! :D I like terra firma.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

The flowers are amazing, but look at that mailbox! Such FUN! You are a girl after my own heart, but you knew that already. :-)

XO,

Sheila