Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lunch Time





We love thrift stores, swap meets, consignment stores, and yard sales.  Come see all the wonders that I've collected over the years.  Enough for a lovely lunch setting, by the ocean

Grapes, cracker and cheese, one of my favorite lunches.  The silverware is the only thing purchased new (well, and the food too, I draw the line at thrift store food).  The yellow napkins are from a thrift store - 4/$1.00 and the placemat is a napkin with Coca Cola bottles on it, that I made from a thrifted tablecloth.

The napkin rings are little vintage sail boats, recent Etsy purchase.  The lighthouse figurine is from a recent yard sale trip.


  The lighthouse cheese spreaders are from Ebay - another of my favorite online thrifting  places 

The plates are white ironstone restaurant ware, purchased at yard sales in California years ago.  
They are small oval platters, the perfect lunch size.  I have even smaller ironstone platters that I use for butter dishes.



It appears that the sailboat napkin rings are handmade

For the centerpiece, Mr. Pelican, he came from a yard sale near Concrete, WA for 1.00 - a last minute decision, but who can resist a pelican on pilings?  Or a yard sale near a town named Concrete. It was the town where the Concrete was made for Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River in Washington.  It is a very descriptive name, and giant cement silos mark their city park.


Especially a pelican with shoes

And a starfish for company

The glass balls and cork floats are also from yard sales in California, before we moved to Washington, set on one of the smaller ironstone platters






14 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting post JoAnn as we don't have what you call 'Yard Sales' here, although I have seen some on my travels around the US over the years. I think all your thrift purchases are lovely and I am very envious.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

You have found some great stuff at yard sales! I just don't have the patience to sort through and find the good stuff. I love that pelican with shoes!

Tamar SB said...

What a fun lunch! Love the cheese spreaders!

GardenOfDaisies said...

I LOVE the glass balls and floats!! I had to laugh at your comment on my latest post. If I washed and ironed everything before I did a post, there would be no blog. I am much too spontaneous. I usually take the pictures, edit, watermark and write up the post in less than 30 minutes. (The closest I come to planning posts is to keep a list of possible subjects... but at the moment it's buried under a pile of papers on my desk, so I'm just winging it.)

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a pretty 'sea-side' lunch, JoAnn! Love, love, love those sailboat napkin rings! Everything is just darling and what a pretty theme. Love your idea of making place mats from tablecloths. So cute! xoxo

greenthumb said...

So many great things, I really like the glass ball and floats.

Unknown said...

What a lovely setting, I can feel the happiness in your post at finding each treasured piece and putting them all together into such a unique tablescape. Thank you for sharing the joy with us. Have a great weekend!
BiTi
http://www.pret-a-vivre.com/2013/05/ready-to-waltz-its-party-time_30.html

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Oh this is all too cute AND I am ready for dinner soon so it has made me hungry as well, lol! Hard to pick a favorite here but I do love Mr Playful Pelican! He is just adorable! :)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

JoAnn, you are making me hungry! Those are the cutest cheese spreaders and I love all your garage sale finds. That is the best way to shop. We took a cruise to Alaska about 5 years ago and it is a beautiful state..Happy Thursday..Judy

Jeanne said...

Very nice finds and what a perfect little lunch.

Kay said...

Deals are irresistible and it looks like you've got some wonderful finds.
I need to restrain myself from "thrifting." We've agreed we have enough stuff. But having said that I found a brand new unused bathrobe for me and jacket for my husband at an estate sale last weekend - tags still on 'em.

BTW, I neglected to mention that we're from the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a S.F. native and we lived in Marin, then Sonoma Counties before we came north to heaven.

Kim Cunningham said...

I love all your thrift finds! The sailboats are adorable. I too love a crackers, cheese, and fruit lunch...with a few slices of salami!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is an especially cheerful lunch table. From the food to the accoutrements, it is colorful and festive. Love this, Jo.

XO,

Sheila

Dorothy said...

There's a town named Concrete?!?! I must visit it!