Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chickens

Hmmm not real chickens - chickens on dishes - lots of chickens.  I got my first chicken dishes in the 60s - from Sears.  We lived in Alaska and had to order from the Sears catalog - then wait for two weeks, or four weeks - or sometimes a bit longer, depending on when the order was placed and when the barge left Seattle, and if the package had even made it to the barge.  Then when the barge came in, we waited around until it was unloaded - then waited again for the post office to sort the letters, and then the packages - it was like christmas.  

Over the years the chicken dishes got broken - until I had almost nothing left - then  - I started finding them again - a few years ago I found some plates, 2 bowls and 2 mugs.  Happy chicken dishes! 

And recently I found MORE chicken dishes - I've got enough to feed the entire family when they come to visit - maybe we'll do brunch.




Brunch for two - on my new round table



Rooster close up


Crystal napkin ring

Egg cup


Or turn it upside down and it is a juice cup - pretty clever, eh?  The chicken is placed on each side so it can be used for either thing.

A nice mug for tea or coffee.  .  .  


 The creamer and sugar bowl are plain, but I fancied them up by putting them on a doily made by my good friend Franni - she does machine embroidery - go over and browse her lovely Etsy shop - HERE.  Go ahead - I'll wait - look at all her lovely things.

Ok - back to the dishes .  .  . 


I'm  so happy to have my chicken dishes again - I have 10 plates - 6 cups - and assorted
other pieces - happy day.

11 comments:

Pondside said...

Those are some of the cutest chicken dishes I've ever seen - and I love anything with a chicken on it!

Wildflowerhouse said...

They are delightful. How much fun and such happy place settings.

Bernideen said...

What a darling table setting - I am so glad you linked to "OpenHouse"!!!!

J said...

The chickens and colors are so fresh and pretty! And I certainly remember the Sears catalog! My sisters and I would make paper dolls out of them. Mother ordered too, but we didn't have our things come in on a barge, of course. I can imagine the "Christmas morning feeling" when your boxes arrived in Sitka!

greenthumb said...

They look great.

Carletta said...

Both my Mom and I have collected chicken dishes at different times. I gave most of mine away. I do have a set of two coffee cups from Avon from many years ago with baby chicks on them.
Yours are so cute. I could definitely see them on top of a red checked tablecloth. :)

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

Oh Gosh... you are going to start a new hobby in.me with all these gorgeous place settings!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

These are delightful, JoAnn! What a lovely little set for a family brunch! I would be excited, too, waiting for these to be unloaded and handed out from shipment! I love the napkins and the crystal napkin rings, too! And the egg cups! I love egg cups. So very sweet! xoxo Now I will pop over to the darling etsy shop! xx

Jeanne said...

These are delightful. Especially the egg cups. Franni's doily is quite nice as well.

Unknown said...

Those are so cute and fun, I bet they put a smile on your face every time you set them out :), they put a smile on mine when I see your photos. Thank you for sharing them at our party JoAnn. Have a wonderful weekend!

BiTi
http://www.pret-a-vivre.com/2013/05/ready-to-waltz-its-party-time_16.html

Lmkazmierczak said...

What a great collection....I just had my kitchen redone and found a couple of rooster tiles to go above my window and my dining entry....so now I guess I'm collecting roosters! My Waltz: http://lauriekazmierczak.com/5-k/