Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Let's Bake Some Cookies

Time for cookie baking - Don likes a cookie now and then in his lunch box.

Good ingredients make good cookies.  Let's bake some oatmeal raisin cookies

My old standby Betty Crocker cookie book.  This is my second one - wore the first one out and was able to find another on ebay.
Who can go wrong with the best cookie from 1900 to 1910?





Let's start mixing
Add molasses - it really gives the cookies their special flavor
Whirrrr!
Some historical notes.  Another note of interest - my grandfather was a young teenager at the time and he was there watching when the Wright Brothers took their first flight.  Funny thing is - he only flew in an airplane twice in his whole life .



This was my kids' favorite page in the whole book.  They would pull up a stool and sit and look at this page while I baked.  
Cookies are done.  Would you like a cup of tea with your cookies?

What is your favorite cookie?

14 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I want to make these soon and I think I have all the ingredients. I even have that old cookbook! Enjoy your day sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

21 Wits said...

A most wonderful idea!

Pamela Gordon said...

I love making cookies and often make a batch every week. I can see why your kids liked that page in the cookbook. :) It's like a dream house isn't it? I would love to join you for tea and cookies. Have a lovely day.

eileeninmd said...

What a great idea! Your cookies look delicious. I would love to taste one now. Have a happy day and weekend ahead!

Mary said...

. . . . . and those ARE my favorite cookies of all, real homemade oatmeal raisin, a little chewy still, and full of good-for-us raisins. As I can't share your batch JoAnn I just may have to mix up a batch of my own soon!

Hugs - Mary

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I have those same old measuring spoons! They belonged to my Mom and I have them as a keepsake from my childhood (I don't actually use them to bake with anymore). Speaking of my Mom, she has never been in an airplane. Since she's 90 now and in a nursing home, that is not going to change either.

Amy at love made my home said...

Delicious! Ginger cookies of any sort are my favourites! xx

Powell River Books said...

You have the same measuring spoon and cups that I got from Mom. Wayne likes cookies, but he only wants one kind, M&M sugar cookies. They're good, but I would like a ginger cookie once in a while. - Margy

Rose said...

Interesting about your Grandfather...

I'd be just fine with one of these oatmeal cookies.

Small City Scenes said...

Love to make cookies---I am the original cookie monster. I don't care for cake and one piece of pie will do me but hide the cookies!! I do like Ginger Snaps or Molasses cookies or I just like a spoonful of molasses. LOL
that shot of padilla Bay is from Samish Island.
MB

Kay said...

I have a great recipe for "oatmeal crispies" - refrigerator cookies - my mother's favorite. I like chocolate chip but I think my most favorite is "Russian tea cookies," also called Mexican wedding cookies. I don't make cookies much. Around here we have trouble stopping after just one or two cookies...

Maggie said...

I love the way you have presented this. It all looks so welcoming I feel I want to just pop into your kitchen , smell the aroma and lick out the bowl and taste the end product too of course! I love the family touches of information too.

Julie Fukuda said...

I got a Betty Crocker cook book for a wedding present and am now on the second one. It has occurred to me that in a pinch I could probably boil a page a day and make a meal of the stuff spilled on it.

J said...

I just melt when I see an old cookbook like this. It reminds me of the ones I have belonging to my mother and mother-in-law, and my own when I was just married. I love to open the pages and just "sink in" to the years they used those very pages, and I was the one who loved pictures like the gingerbread house. For years, I used a chocolate chip/oatmeal cookie recipe from one of them. I'm so glad I have those treasures!