Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Lean On Me

Each week Kath gives a song and we get to take photos to represent that song - the song this week is "Lean on Me"



Bald eagles often sit on the top most branches of a tree - the better to view the territory for hunting


When looking for an eagle, I will look for a tree with the top branch bent down.  The constant perching of an eagle will bend the tree top so that it then becomes a permanent perch.


When a plant or tree limb, even a substantial one, is bent over for a period of time, the cells in the outer, or top of the arch will grow faster, adding cells so the branch (or bent over flower) doesn't break.  Once those new outer arch cells have grown, the plant or branch cannot be straightened up because there are more cells in the outer arch. The bent flower, if left lying on the ground, will then grow another bend, in an attempt to grow towards the light.

The weight of the eagle, continually using the tree for a perch - will bend the limb.  This gives you a clue - when looking for eagle habitat, look for trees with deformed top branches.  If you have the time to wait, or come back frequently, you will find an eagle, sitting in the top of the tree.  Perfect opportunities to get some fabulous photos.


That gives a different meaning to "Lean on Me".  I have always sung that song in my head while looking for eagles, or while photographing them, long before this songography challenge, so thought I would share those thoughts with you.






8 comments:

Karen said...

Amazing photographs! Eagles are gorgeous. I can't imagine seeing one in the "real world", but now I know that if I am ever in the right area to look for the bent perch!

J said...

So beautiful! And I appreciated the lesson in eagle perching because I had no idea! Interesting how animals interact with nature so they can co-exist in peace. Wish people would do the same!
I have never seen a bald eagle anywhere other than a zoo. Sadly, they are never seen in my part of Michigan.

Kmcblackburn said...

I can't even IMAGINE seeing a Bald Eagle up close and pesonal, in REAL life! Sorry, I have...in a zoo. But not in a natural habitat. So beautiful and striking. Thanks for sharing at Song-ography.

Pondside said...

Great tips for eagle watching - thanks!

Nicki said...

These are incredible photos of a grand bird.

Ida said...

First how awesome and cool that you were able to photograph this magnificent bird in the wild. Second I enjoyed reading about the trees and how the limbs bend from the weight of the bird. That was something I did not know.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Lovely photos, JoAnn! And very good information about Eagle perches! That's a great old song, isn't it? xo

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

I'm always so envious of your eagle shots! Amazing!