Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Heron Catching Dinner

There are vast flocks of herons in our area - giving me lots of chances to capture a good photograph. Flocks of herons are called a Seige of Herons - just thought you'd like to know that.

This heron was in the shallow waters of Drayton Bay - near Blaine, WA.


Far out in the bay

Searching for dinner

Pounce!!

Caught a fish!!

And another - a good fishing day


Up and away!!


Ready to Waltz  

NatureFootstep - Winged  


12 comments:

MitchyLR said...

Wow, excellent series of shots of my favourite bird catching his lunch!! Fabulous!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Brilliant photography JoAnn.
We have grey herons here but they are quite solitary birds. There is usually one on our little beck which runs through the fields - they seem to live on small trout and sticklebacks. Such elegant birds.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh lovely shots of the heron working for his dinner. ONe of my very favorite birds and yet I didn't know that collective noun. Fun to know! Great post.

Unknown said...

Fabulous shots of the heron hunting for lunch.

Em Parkinson said...

What amazing birds they are and great shots of them!

Nonnie said...

superb captures! I actually gasped as I scrolled down and saw him snatch the fish!

Kay said...

I love those terms of venery, though a bunch of herons is more a Treat of Herons than a Seige to me! Nice shots - cool to see it succeed in its hunting.

Mary said...

Love these photos! And i love to watch herons fish. And fly.. and just be. They're wonderful birds. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, I love herons too. Your photos are gorgeous, thank you for sharing them with us.

betty-NZ said...

What a wonderful series of shots! I love how effortlessly herons find their next meal.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I love seeing your wonderful photos, JoAnn! These are great - and who knew about the seige? Not I! Always learning something new from your wonderful blog! xo

J said...

Now THIS I can comment on! It is a lovely series! It's the "boots on the fence" post that left me speechless!