Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Spectacular Heron Day

We went for a drive today - stopped and saw some friends - then on a hunch, stopped at a Fifty-Five and Older Park and there was a heron in  their pond.  Great luck.


This is the first time I've seen a heron in water this deep - usually they have a lot more of their legs showing.


Looking


Looking


Found it!


Diving for a fish - the beak is pointing upwards as he comes out of the water


Coming back out of the water


All the way out - no fish this time


Dive again



Back out of the water again.


Nothing here - I'll try a little farther down the bank


Dive!


I think I'm done fishing for now





Itchy!


Ok - one more dive













Hello Duckie!



16 comments:

Peggy said...

What wonderful pictures! I've never seen a heron do anything but just stand around!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Those are great close-ups, JoAnn! They are such amazing birds and showing it with the duck gives great perspective of their size. So nice to see the action shots and the details of their feathers. xo

Kay said...

Nice series! Herons are really beautiful birds. You must have a lot of them in your area?

I've not heard of a 55 and older park. Is it really age restricted?

Rowan said...

Great photos - I like herons but like you I'm used to seeing them in fairly shallow water.

Rowan said...

Great photos - I like herons but like you I'm used to seeing them in fairly shallow water.

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh well, he got a good bath out of it.
I think they are better built for shallow water pickings.

eileeninmd said...

It is not often that I see them come up empty. They are great at catching their food. Cute series of Great Blue heron photos.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Extraordinary photos!!! Love them!

Jeanne said...

Excellent photo's of a magnificent bird. Looks like you had a delightful day in the park.

mick said...

A great series of photos - spectacular bird and photos!

Unknown said...

Beautiful shots of the heron!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi JoAnn Great series of heron shots and your commentary to go along with it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such fantastic shots!

Stewart M said...

I wonder if it is a youngish bird that is still learning the ropes - it does seem to be in rather deep!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne!

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed this series! I've never seen a heron up to its belly in water before. :-)

~Lindy

Mary Howell Cromer said...

These are really very wonderful. i too had a magical moment with a great Blue Heron. I will be sharing within next 2 weeks...what fun!