Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, June 24, 2016

Foxgloves

A friend, Jean Thompson, took a drive up Chuckanut Drive and on to Bow Hill Road - and spotted hillsides of Foxgloves.  We just had to get down there and see them - so a couple weeks ago we headed down that way - only about 10 miles from our house.
Click the photos for a much larger view!!
 On a logged over hillside there are foxgloves running rampant

 Up and down the hillsides

Foxgloves get their name from the tale that at night the "Wee Folks" would come out to dance in the moonlight, dressed in their finest and wearing the blossoms of the flowers as their gloves.  "We Folks' Glove" became Foxgloves.
 There was a side road close by so we drove down that and the foxgloves continued on the other side of the hill.



 We've never seen so many foxgloves - thanks for telling us about them Jean.


 We were on a side road - mostly gravel - so we could stop and enjoy the foxgloves for as long as we wanted.

 Not sure just why that sign is there - but interesting.





10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks to your friend Jean. Love this flower. So dainty and uplifting. Such a scene makes me feel good this morning. Have a great week-end.

Tom said...

fields of glory

Mary said...

Never, ever, anywhere on earth have I seen foxgloves which have multiplied such as these, absolutely awesome! In England we had lots along the hedgerows in the country lanes, and some usually visible on roadside banks, but nothing like you found. What a beautiful sight! Were you able to pick any to bring home?

Yes, continuing to behave myself but really feeling guilty being this lazy!
Hugs - Mary

The Weaver of Grass said...

JoAnn They are absolutely exquisite. I too have never seen so many - the sight of them must have been amazing. They do seed very freely and obviously they love their situation, so let's hope that they continue to multiply year after year.

J said...

Just amazing! When I was first married, I attempted to plant a garden that included these because I love them so much. You can imagine my results. I purchased seed packs and planted in mid June after my teaching school year was over, tossing them anywhere without regard for "full sun" or "shade" requirements. Just assumed "Mother Nature" would figure it all out for me! She just shook her head at me!

Lynda (Granny K) said...

A beautiful sight indeed, and the bees love them!

Maggie said...

That is a sight to be seen! How good of your friend to think of you. I have never seen such a massive amount but I do know that they often grow on freshly cleared ground. We often find where scrub, hedge or trees are cleared we get masses of foxgloves the next summer. Presumably the seed lies dormant for the right conditions. Nothing on the scale of those though.

Small City Scenes said...

It is amazing---Digitalis---remember Foxglove is toxic but used for heart medicine--weird. We were walking on the tree farm across from my house and came upon a cleared patch and that patch was covered with foxGlove also.
Pretty neat pictures Joanne.
MB.

Kim said...

A day doesn't get much better than seeing fields and fields of pretty Foxgloves. Beautiful photos, JoAnn!

Carver said...

I love foxgloves. I used to have a lot in my yard but in recent years they haven't come back and I miss them.