Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Crazy Quilt - Making Progress

I've recently decided to pick up the crazy quilt and work on it.  A great project for wintry days.  A nice hot cup of tea, a slice of banana bread and my threads and fabrics.  

For several summers, several years ago, I would paint fabrics all summer long.  I would paint it with a special photo sensitive paint, lay grasses, cedar fronds, flowers, etc on the painted color and put the fabric in the sun to print.  Where ever there was something on the fabric, the color would not set and I would get a white image on the colored fabric.
Sometimes Ben would "help" Grammy paint the fabric - mostly by running up and down the painting boards when the paint was dry.

Ben is now 14, taller than me and starts high school next Autumn.

Isn't that the cutest thing you've ever seen?  Such a good helper.
When I was painting the fabric I cut the pieces into fat quarters (18x22" for you non-quilters) and there were often small pieces left at the end of a bolt of fabric so I would paint those to use myself.   One day, while looking at a nice pile of the pieces I painted for myself I came up with the idea of a crazy quilt made with the hand painted fabrics.  Since the fabric is 100% cotton I chose to use only cotton embroidery floss for the stitching.

Do you know why it is called Crazy Quilting?  Not because the pieces are crazy shaped, but because it resembles the crazing on old dishes - those little crackly lines that sometimes appear as dishes age.

It is traditional for every Crazy Quilt to have a spiderweb . . .



A butterfly - flying above some pretty flowers . . .

I really enjoy the hand embroidery and like to try out new stitches.  After working on it for a while I usually put it aside when it begins to feel like I'm repeating stitches too often - and then when I pick it up again it feels fresh.  I am making the quilt in sections and when sections are complete I join them together, and eventually it will be big enough to use on our bed.
This is the way a new section begins

The hand painted fabrics are hand stitched to the backing - and now I can have the fun of embellishing with embroidery.





 My tools and supplies.  The little bunny scissors were a gift from my dear friend Franni in Florida - I sure do miss her.
 I made the Hedgehog pincushion not long after we got back from visiting our son and his family  in West Virginia a few years ago.  They have Hedgehogs there (we don't have any here in NW Washington state, as least as far as I've seen) and we got to briefly see one on our trip to West Virginia.  The Hedgehog pincushion looks more Hedgehoggy with pins stuck all over him - but I just have my needles there for now.
 The beehive pincushion was another gift - I have such sweet friends.
I keep my floss wound on flat plastic bobbins, sorted by color.  I have three more boxes full of floss, these divided plastic boxes are perfect for this.




 Woolley sheep

 I like doing Lazy Daisy stitch too - so many possibilities.





 I really enjoy stitching these trees, they appear often in my crazy quilt.






 I work on the crazy quilt in sections that are approximately 4x4 feet, and then will join them when all is finished.

 I adore making French Knots - as you can probably tell.  I tell the story of how I learned to make them when I was seven, in my book "Are We Walking To Alaska?"

Snowy days of wintry stitching inspired me to do these stitches.


 Busy Bee on top of the pincushion.


 This is a section of dreams of spring and all the new blossoms.

Back to work.  Several of my friends do embroidery, are you one of them, and what do you like to embroider?



13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never seen this kind of quilt or quilting before. It's so beautiful! But what a lot of work to do all that embroidery! I did some traditional embroidery when I was an adolescent in 4-H but not since then. I have done cross-stitch on occasion. What an heirloom that quilt will be when it is done!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, your quilt work is just amazing and beautiful. I love all the pretty colors. Cute photo of Ben! I also love your swan header, very pretty.
Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead.

JudithK said...

I am not a quilter, but come from a family of women quilters. None of whom EVER did a crazy quilt. And while I love my famly, I can't believe they didn't go for it. Crazy quilts are beautiful. I love them. Just beautiful. And yours looks as if it will be especially so. I look forward to seeing the whole thing.

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

What an amazing piece of art with its magical colors! Your embroidery is incredible. I'm not a quilter (don't like to measure things), but I used to embroider a great deal. You have such a variety of stitches on your quilt. What a special family keepsake!

Patio Postcards said...

Oh my goodness that is amazing work - I like your little woolley sheep. I cannot imagine the amount of work you put into these (this) quilt. Art, it is simply art in a fabric medium.

Lorrie said...

What a gorgeous piece of art you are creating! I do love embroidery, but stick to fairly small projects, like tea towels. I made a few crazy quilt pillow tops many years ago and enjoyed making them. Have fun stitching! Those sheep are adorable.

Angie said...

JoAnn - your embroidery is out of this world. So many different stitches, and you have used them in such creative ways. Combined with the crazy nature of the quilt and the hand-dyed fabrics, it is truly a one of a kind quilt - destined to be an heirloom. I lean toward cross-stitch, but last year I completed the set of tea towels that you helped me find! Your embroidery inspires my drawing, which I have just started up as 2019 goal. Thanks for the creativity!

Rose said...

Oh, my goodness!!!! I have so enjoyed this. You sure gave us a lot to see...I don't do much embroidery. I don't even sew much by hand any more, but always loved to. Just got away from it. Now I would work on something like this. Have been watching some videos and wanting to start something to do by hand.

I am so glad you visited me...I pretty much knew when I saw that comment that I had something to look forward to. Did not dream it would be so many fun photos.

betty-NZ said...

I did some embroidery many years ago but never as good as your work! What fabulous creativity and patience that it must take to make these awesome pieces of art! Keep up the good work!!

Candy S said...

Your embroidery is so beautiful to me that I have tears in my eyes from the joy of seeing the pieces that you have been working on. It is wonderful to see how it is coming together. I have had a few glimpses of your project here and there through the years from your blog posts but I did not realize how beautiful it would be until now. I still have some of my floss collection, maybe my hands will improve enough some day so that I can work on a bit of embroidery too. I am not ready yet to start back on working on my hobbies. Maybe soon. I cannot tell you how delighted and happy I am to see that you are working on this beautiful quilt again.

Hugs..... Candy

Kay said...

You do such beautiful work! I love that little heart (I love hearts especially) and those cute little woolly sheep. But everything you've done is spectacular. I haven't done embroidery in eons.
This weather is perfect for staying in and working on something beautiful and satisfying. We've got heavy rain coming down now, though it was clear the past few days. I even saw an anemone in bloom yesterday. So I'm intent on finding signs of spring everywhere.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That really is the most amazing quilt! It would be such a joy to see it in person and all of the variety! It makes me wish I could quilt! Enjoy your day sweet friend!

Marigene said...

WOW, you are very creative, JoAnn...that is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen. I hope you will show it when it is completed. My favorite are the woolly sheep, they are adorable.
Your porcupine pincushion is cute, as is the beehive/bee.
Thanks for sharing this work of art.