Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Review of 2014 by Seasons - Winter

A good friend suggested that I break down my review of 2014 on my blog by seasons - good idea - so let's start with winter, since that is where we are now.  I wanted to start with spring, but it is so chilly out that I thought winter a better choice.
 The sky and clouds are always interesting in the winter - always changing
 Snow is a special treat for us - a chance to take photos and fun for the kids to play in, and they hope for a snow day at school if the snow is deep enough.

 The Trumpeter Swans over winter here - we take a lot of weekend rides in search of flocks of them.
 Winter teatime - with pine cone dishes and hot tea, warm cookies 
Besides the over wintering Trumpeter  Swans we have Snow Geese - by the thousands.
Storms in the winter are glorious - the grays of the sky and sea blending together 
 Waves large and small
 Winter is one of our rainy seasons - great weather for ducks, Canada Geese
 And Loons
Seagulls take advantage of the blustery winds of winter.  Grass is often green all winter long, because of the heavy rainfall.
And waterfalls rush down rocks and hillsides.

Winter is magical in N.W. Washington

How was your winter in  2014?

14 comments:

Marigene said...

Fabulous photos, JoAnn!

Carol Mattingly said...

Your year in review was wonderful. I once traveled to the beautiful state of Washington and stayed in Seattle and ventured up to the islands off the coast and then back down to the Olympic Peninsula. It was unforgettable. Carol

Powell River Books said...

Wonderful collages. We have been cheating so far this winter. We had to spend an extended time in Bellingham for some health reasons (nothing major, but easier to deal with in town), and going to Southern California for two sports vacations to watch our favourite college team, USC playing both football and basketball. We do tend to travel more in winter to find some sun, but when we are home at the cabin we love it. One of my favourite things is sitting in front of the woodstove and watching the fire through the glass door while the wind blows and it rains outdoors. - Margy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a treat to see this post, JoAnn! I love every single shot.

And I adore that lovely pinecone china. So lovely.

Happy New Year again! :-)

Love you,

Sheila xoxoxox

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Happy New Year, dear Jo!
What a contrast between the beautiful gray storm photos and the cozy tea time ones.
Smiling.
xo, m & jb

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy New Year, JoAnn! Have a fab 2015 and takes lots of photos!

J said...

That was lovely! Winter is so bleak. Your photos capture that, but show such interesting contrasts in texture, ranging from water to feathers to sky. That green panel really pops out - and makes me realize there will eventually be a refreshing palette to replace the grayness.

Kay said...

There are some great shots here, JoAnn! Lovely series! I especially like the clouds in your first collage, but then I'm a real cloud lover. And the birds, of course, are amazing.

Jeanne said...

Our winter 2013/2014 was quite brutal and will not be forgotten anytime soon. We were up to our eyeballs in snow and it was one of the coldest on record. This year is quite the opposite so far.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

A really wonderful collection of photos, and great idea to separate them by season! Happy New Year, JoAnn!!

Julie Fukuda said...

I think many of my winter pictures will include migrant birds. An outing with the Scouts is already planned. I wish I knew how to turn them into collages.

eileeninmd said...

JoAnn, lovely collection of images.. Of course, I love all the birds, the swans, ducks, geese and loons are all awesome.. And I lvoe the first sky mosaic.. Just beautiful. Happy weekend!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You took some amazing photos this year. I still can't get over all of those swans. I showed these photos to my husband. It would be so great to see them in person. And I wish I had done my review by season. Could you remind me of this at the end of the year? heehee! Sweet hugs, Diane

Lorrie said...

What a lot of lovely photos you took in 2014! All those wonderful birds make great collages. Such a good idea to review the year by season. Our 2014 winter was good - the highlight was our grandson's birth.
Happy New Year!