Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, January 3, 2014

Tonight's sunset

The clouds have been thick all day - and rain most of the day - but as we were driving north to Lynden the skies began to clear and it turned out to be a beautiful day for photos.

There were a few swans in the corn fields

Their call is more distinctive when there are only a few of them


Quick - look over there!!!  I can see it - way up in the tree - can you?  This is how it looked from the road. Look at the tree in the middle of the group of three.

Zoom in - 140x - an eagle's nest.  We didn't see any eagles nearby

But I did capture a hawk that flew right over the car

I still don't know the name of this mountain

The foothills of Mt. Baker - fresh snow - Mt. Baker wasn't out today - snuggled up in a blanket of clouds

We never did find out what Farmer Ben was selling - but since one of our grandsons is named Ben, we had to stop and take a picture

The  sunlight made beautiful reflections in a small pond



Then on the way home the sunset started - it was magnificent



The sun dipped behind and peeked out of the clouds

I've taken photos of these two trees in the spring - they are just as magnificent in the sunset in the winter


Near a golf course - we saw one lone golfer out in the cold - it was 39 degrees



Reflection of the sunset in a puddle on the golf course


And home!







12 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Gorgeous photos! That lone golfer must be a Scot! Only a Scot could golf in that type of weather.

I love the swans. They are some of my Favorite birds.

This is a woodcut post. Thanks for sharing.

xo

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wonderful, not woodcut. The IPAD decided that is what I was saying. Uh, Not! ;-)

J said...

Lovely! The sunsets are breathtaking, but my favorites are the swans - such beautiful compositions with strong contrasts in texture that are a feast for the eye. You are so talented in not only selecting great subject arrangements but you follow through with perfect skill behind the camera! I love all of them!

Jackie said...

Gorgeous photographs....

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Beautiful photos of the sunset and I love the swans! I haven't received your book from Amazon yet, but it should be here any day.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I like to think those swans are looking at the sunset too JoAnn. As usual they are beautiful photographs.

sweetbriardreams said...

Such a beautiful sunset. My husband loves golf and I am sure he would be the lone golfer playing amongst the puddles :-) x

Buttons Thoughts said...

Sunsets oh there is NOTHING like it. Yours are magnificent. Love your photos. B

Lynn said...

what beautiful country you live in, your sunsets are gorgeous.

Jeanne said...

Just beautiful photos JoAnn!!

Kay said...

Some gorgeous shots here! I love the golds of the sunset and, of course, the swans are so beautiful! Bravo!

Candy S said...

Beautiful photography JoAnn! The sunset is so vivid it seems that I am there watching it too. Just simply stunning!