Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Top Shot - Duck in the Snow


We got up early today - it was snowing, but not sticking on the streets. The light was perfect for some snow/duck photos so off we went to Lake Padden to find the ducks.



This Bufflehead was floating among the old worn out reeds from last summer, and the snow was coming down fast. You can see the streaks of the falling snow and if you click on the picture to enlarge it - you can see snowflakes on his back.

It was such a thrill to get this close - usually these are shy ducks and stay closer to the other side of the lake. Perhaps they were bolder because there were so few people out this early on a snowy March day.


Click HERE to visit other tops shots of the week.

Have you tried taking photos of animals in the snow - it is quite an adventure - and often cold and wet - but fun!

5 comments:

hamilton said...

Lucky you - most of my shots of these guys are from the back as they quickly swim away from the camera!

Jeanne said...

Your picture looks so peaceful.

Lili said...

I have never seen one of these in person Jo, much less get a shot of one. Very cool. I have to take sneak shots from inside my coat if it's snowing out, or else I get disapproving looks from Henri. heehee ~Lili

Rowan said...

He's a handsome duck - and a very nice photo of him.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous duck... they seem immune to the cold don't they? Please forgive me my tardiness in visiting your entry in ‘Weekly Top Shot,’ I have been rather under the weather the past few days, although still working. I'm so glad you decided to join us and share at 'Weekly Top Shot.' :-) I hope you'll come share again next week...