Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Your Sunday Best - Heron

Birch Bay is very shallow, almost all the way across, and provides an excellent food source for herons. I've gotten almost all my shots of herons in this area. We were up that way at sunset one evening and the colors of the sunset reflected in the shallow waters.
We had to turn around and find a spot to park on the busy road. Fortunately there was a nice pull-out right next to the heron - and there as also a flock of ducks nearby - that's for another post.

Another car pulled in and a lady got out - just as two bald eagles were passing overhead to land in the nearby trees. She looked at the heron, looked at my and my cameras and asked if I'd seen any shorebirds. I said there were some down the road in a different bay and she rushed back to her car saying, "Herons you can see any day, but shorebirds, not that's interesting." We spent another hour there, getting shots of the ducks and herons until the sun began to fade. I hope she found her shorebirds and enjoyed them - we certainly enjoyed the heron.

As the sun began to set the colors reflected in the water gave a fabulous background for the heron in its search for food.


Stop over at A RURAL JOURNAL and see other "Your Sunday Best" posts - some amazing photos there.

6 comments:

Ivanhoe said...

Love the golden hues! Enjoy your Sunday :)

Lois Andersen said...

Lovely captures Joann!

A Garden of Threads said...

They will be returning soon and with the weather so strange I would not be surprised to see them early. Great shots.

Nancy said...

Beautiful! Loving the gold reflections on the water. :)

Anonymous said...

These are amazing shots! I can't imagine not wanting to see the beauty of these birds.

Evelyn S. said...

I love the series of heron images! One of my goals is to photograph a blue heron....they are around in my rural area, but I can never get close enough. There are fields everywhere...generally between me and the river---and the heron. I especially love the last photo in the series.