Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, October 2, 2015

Willy Nilly Five On Friday

A local apple farm has expanded and moved out to the hiway and we thought we'd stop in and buy some apples.
 It has really expanded - not only are there apples - there are apple products, jams, bakery items, a bistro for lunch, distillery, wine shop and gift shop.
 1. The entrance was decorated with all the autumn wonders that they grow, besides the apples  You could buy most anything except the wagon
 A large pumpkin growing out front
 Garden carts and boxes of pumpkins


 And just inside the door a nice seat made from iron tractor wheels - you won't get stuck in the mud with these.
 2.  Outside are giant rocking animals - the little girls were having so such fun riding on them.

 3. And inside - the gift shop - spread out over a gigantic store - with something for everyone - popcorn to journals - impulse buying was in full swing here (but not me, I couldn't find one thing I had to have - well except a raspberry scone, but I ate that up before I remembered to take a picture)

 Seasonal and clever items
 Chicks made out of eggs - which came first?
 Bird houses and decorations made from dried gourds
 All these happy Jack-o-Lanterns are also made from dried gourds
 4. There was a section of locally made items
 And fudge of all different flavors
 5.There were photos in the entryway, but the big glass doors reflected on them - this is the farm in 1950
 By 1970 they had a farm stand in the barn and a new house
 2002 shows the apple orchards and an addition to the house
 Oh - there were a few boxes of apples from the orchards - I was disappointed in the amount of apples - in the old location their main emphasis was on apples and they had many more varities.  We bought some Macintosh Apples for a pie

 They even have an ice cream stand
 And more and more gifts

 And clever seasonal items

It was fun - but very crowded and noisy.  We paid for our apples and scones and headed out to continue our ride. Their bakery is impressive.  We were not there at lunch time, so we didn't eat at the bistro - maybe another time.

17 comments:

Rosie said...

A lovely Five on Friday. Sometimes there can be too much choice but the whole place looks so seasonal and colourful. I love to see different apple varieties but each year there are fewer around. Have a lovely weekend:)

Latane Barton said...

pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere. What a fun place.

Tom said...

What GREAT images of fall colors, starting with those neat pickups and then all those decorations. No pumpkin ice cream?

A Colorful World said...

I love places like this in the Fall! So much fun!

mamasmercantile said...

What a great place to have a stroll around. Shame about the lack of apple choices.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh wow! That looks like my kind of place. Fun!

Crimson Kettle said...

What a lovely place. The pumpkins are fantastic piled up high. Over here we are swamped with fruit. My Mum's peartree is absolutely covered. What a year! Have a good week

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love those jack o lanterns . It is my birthday on Hallowe'en and I always have a pumpkin on the gatepost - so shall remember that design.

Maggie said...

Looks quite some place and great to photograph but I can see your point that they have moved away from apples rather!

Amy at love made my home said...

They have some great pumpkins and lots of lovely autumn decorations don't they. Shame they didn't have so many apples, perhaps that will expand as they get settled in. Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you will have a great weekend! xx

Lori E said...

I love shops like that were you can find local arts & crafts. Too bad about the apple selection though. I wonder why that changed?
I think I have kinda reached a point in my life where I no longer want to buy much for my house. I think I have all I need and am pretty happy with that.

Kay said...

What an interesting looking place! You're so right about impulse-buying merchandise! I'm impressed with their selection of squash. The latest Rachel Ray magazine has info on different kinds and I'm feeling a bit more confident about trying something new...although my delicata crop is nearing harvest and that will keep in in squash for months.

Julie Fukuda said...

I guess in a place like that has to appeal to more than just those looking for apples.

Unknown said...

I love shops like this! A little bit of everything for everyone! I would have definitely bought myself some fudge had I been there. That is one of my biggest weaknesses. Yum!

J said...

I love places like this in the fall! I would have come home with many gourd pumpkins! I collect them in a full range of sizes!

Lisa from @intotheglade said...

Oh I wish we had places like this in England that makes so much of the autumn and Halloween. It looks fabulous. The icecream flavours look great too. A great five to link up xx

Tanya Breese said...

oh that looks like a great place that i could spend hours in....i love those jack o lanterns made from the gourds! thank you for linking and have a great week :)