Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Zoom In On the Ducks

This time of the year we still have lots of over-wintering ducks in the area.  With all the rain we've had lately there are also lots of puddles and small ponds on the farmers' fields - the perfect spots to catch a few pictures of ducks.
The most abundant duck right now - Mallards 

 Mallards swim contentedly about, sounding like motorboats.

And often with the Mallard flocks are Pintails - though I have, at times, seen flocks of just pintails.  I love their squeaky little whistle.

11 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lovely!

GardenOfDaisies said...

They all have such beautiful markings.

marsha said...

love these photos- I have never seen a pintail duck though we get lots of mallards

helena said...

beautiful captures of their lovely feathers and colouring

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Mallard are an 'all-year-round' treat for us here on duck ponds and rivers. They love to be fed with bread. I love to see the baby ones, like little balls of fluff! I've never seen a Pintail though. They are very elegant!

Miriam said...

I've never seen Pintails either, so thank you! Lovely ZIZO's

Kay said...

Nice close-ups! I need to look more carefully at the ducks around here. I'll bet we have pintails and I've just never noticed. I did hear some whistling when I tried to shoot a huge flock in a pond but couldn't get close enough to see or take pix.

Lorrie said...

I love the white streak on the Pintails necks. And I'm going to take notice if we have any in our area. Lovely photos, JoAnne.

Karen said...

What beautiful birds!

J said...

I always enjoy seeing your shots of water bodies, they look like a sheet of glass. This huge puddle is no exception!

Missus Wookie said...

Lovely to see the ducks enjoying the fields. Mallards are Wookie's favourite type of duck.