Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Old Garden Tools

With spring here - or on its way - I thought I'd welcome it by showing  you some of my vintage gardening tools.

 I like the old fashioned garden tools - the ones with years of wear and hefty service to gardeners.
A long time ago my rake head came off - it makes the perfect rack for the hand tools 

One of my favorites is this Amish Weeding Ball. The metal piece at the bottom is forked - you plunge it into the ground under the weed, roll it back on the ball and the weed effortlessly comes out. 
Another Amish Weeding Ball that once was bright red/orange.  You can see the prongs on the bottom.
I also like old galvanized or enameled buckets - the fence is the best place for them so they don't fill with water in our rainy climate.  This picture was taken when we lived on a farm, the first house we rented when we moved to Washington 13 years ago. 
And enamel wash basins - they are useful for carrying plants, bulbs or tubers that need to be planted.  Another old fence on the same farm. 
And galvanized watering cans - before Martha started collecting them I found them quite reasonable - now the prices have gone up to incredible heights.  Now and then I still find one at a yard sale - but not as often as I used to.  Miss Kitty loved to drink out of them when they were filled and waiting to water the garden. 
They are now lined up along the ramp to the deck in the summer  and this pair of Mallards came to visit - looking for birdseed. 
Donnie liked to haul them around when they came to visit a year and a half ago. 
They even get decorated for Christmas.
This watering can is not vintage - it is an elephant watering can that was a gift from Ben - one day this little frog came climbing up out of the elephant and sat there most of the day.

Do you have favorite vintage gardening tools?



13 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Neat Neat!! Neat!

Julie Fukuda said...

My trowel and watering can looks much like yours. There is a big mosquito problem where I live so I have switched to using 2 liter bottles with caps for watering plants. Those mosquitoes can breed in a saucer.

Fundy Blue said...

I enjoyed these photos very much! The Amish weeding ball was fascinating!

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Very nice! I like the enamel wash basins on the fence :)
Autumn greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

Lynda (Granny K) said...

What a great collection of gardening tools you have. We only have a tiny bit of garden but my favourite tool is a hoe. I think it is a Dutch Hoe (you push it rather than pull it). I have had it since 1970 and it is still going strong!

SewSweetVIntage said...

Love your wash pan fence! Pinned:)

Kay said...

What a great idea to hang your tools in an old rake! I guess I know what I'm going to start looking for at garage sales. A nursery here recently closed due to retirement. We had a $60 credit we'd intended to use for spring plantings but there were none left by the time we got there. So I got two very nice new hand tools. I too like the old ones but sometimes the handles don't age well.

Carletta said...

I love this post! All the things I myself enjoy.
My dear Dad loved collecting old tools. He had them nailed all over his front porch. After he passed away and my remarried my Stepdad built a garage. In one corner my Dad's old tools and lanterns hang from the rafters.
Cute shot of Donnie!

Powell River Books said...

I don't have any vintage gardening tools, but I've enjoyed looking in the bush for old items from times gone by. Lots of old logging and shake block camps have trash heaps to explore. And there are still a few old homestead cabins if you know where to look. I do have lots of old kitchen gadgets from my grandmother. When I had a larger kitchen I had some of them out to display. Now they are boxed, waiting for another opportunity. - Margy

J said...

Cute pictures! I have my grandma's galvanized watering can. I had no idea how collectible they have become. That's what makes them special - when they belonged to someone you love - so I guess that is my favorite gardening tool!
I also liked reading about the Amish ball weeder!

Deb @ Lavender Garden Cottage said...

I am loving those wash basins on the fence….woot!

Donna Wilkes said...

And I thought I was the only one who remembered her watering cans at Christmas. Such rusty and vintage beauty - love this post.

Janice Kay Schaub said...

yes,when I first read Amish weeding ball I thought what do they do with that just clobber the weeds down? then I saw the fork on the end heheh. Great post. I love old watering cans, so far I have resisted due to price but may give in and collect a couple now and then. I saw one in a fav 2nd hand shop. May go back when I can actually see the garden. Janice