Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, March 14, 2014

Random 5 Friday

We  found a new road - hard to believe there are still roads that we haven't  been down - but there is was - ready for us to explore. And here are five random things we saw - and five random thoughts.
1.A differently shaped barn - built like the salt box houses of the east coast.  Was the farmer from the east coast?  Did he just prefer this style of barn?  We don't have the heavy snowfall and storms that would require the extra protection on one side - and it was not situated traditionally like a salt box building.
2. Little Free Library - these are popping up all around the country.  Started in Wisconsin they are a neighborly to share books. Take one, return one, donate one.  A god way to meet neighbors and find out what is being read.  There are no fees, no rules, no restrictions - just enjoy a book and share with others if you have one or more to share.
I think I'll start one in our neighborhood - maybe in our yard.  The Re-Store in Bellingham as the weatherproof little library's for sale - I must go look at them tomorrow.  This one is outside the little town of Alger and we've passed it many times - I was determined today to get a picture of it.  You can start a Little Free Library too.
3, And then on the way home I spotted this Little Free Library 
And had to stop and get a picture 
This one has been yarn bombed - and looks very cozy
4. And then we came upon Lois Lane - though I didn't see Superman around anyplace.  What makes people name roads like that?  Humor?  Named after a friend or loved one?  Picked from a list?  I like a bit of humor in public works employees. 
5. Another of my "must photograph" items.  We pass this  little mail box often - it is on a curve in the road on a fairly busy road, and no place to pull over.  It is new - and a house across the street from the mailbox recently sold, so I'm guessing that it belongs to those people.  I didn't have time to find out how the little tractors are attached - but they've survived winter so they are firmly attached.  Notice the one going up the flag.

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

These are all great finds. How cute are those tractors? The book trade is such a good idea and the boxes for them are very creative.

The Weaver of Grass said...

What absolutely fascinating photographs JoAnn - I love the idea of that free library - we don't have them here in the UK at all - any spare books we take to the charity shop - but I love that striped library box.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Such a fun post! The free libraries are cool, and I love that mailbox!

xo

Sheila

Kay said...

Fun finds! I especially love the little free libraries. I loved the colorful one...then another that's yarn bombed! I think we have a Lois Lane here, too. And the mailbox is a small treasure.

eileeninmd said...

The barn is an interesting shape.. I love the library idea.. The one covered with yard is cute! And I love the tractor mailbox, it is fun! Maybe Lois Lane was named because the are big Superman fans.. Great post, have a happy weekend!

Jeanne said...

Excellent, I enjoyed that little drive very much!

Jen said...

Those little free libraries are a great idea. I don't think I've seen any here.

J said...

Little Libraries - omgoodness! That is so sweet - something right out of the past when everyone knew and trusted everyone else in small town America! I hope they show up everywhere so people can be creative about decorating their own little gem!

Snap said...

what a fun post! the fun barn, the little free libraries (aren't they a great idea?!!). I giggled at Lois Ln and the wonderful mailbox. thanks for my morning smile/giggle! have a great weekend.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is the first that I have heard about the free library but what a great idea and the whole post was interesting and fun all the way through! :)

Rambling said...

Wow - you live in a very creative part of the world!

Nancy said...

Absolutely in love with the lending library idea... may have to do this! I have so many books laying around doing absolutely nothing! Thank you dear. xo

Gillie said...

What a great idea, the library. Also have picked up your decluttering idea, a bit late, but who cares? 32 cookery books went to the village consignment store today....
I might make a bit of a tweak to the above and add stitched items that are then given away and purely stitched from my stash.

Gillie said...

Oops, forgot to mention that we have Gladys, Ruth , Della and Naomi Streets in our nearest town!

Lorrie said...

Love the free library idea. I don't think they exist in Canada, or at least, I've never seen one. Cute tractor mailbox, too.