Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Monday, December 21, 2015

Happy Christmas Merry Birthday

Our family has a lot of anniversaries and birthdays during the holidays - so we have plenty of excuses to celebrate.  This luncheon was for our youngest daughter's birthday last week. 
 The plaid plates are some that I found at a thrift shop about 3 years ago and I had never used them. They seemed perfect with my favorite plaid christmas tablecloth.

 The glasses are from Woolworth Five and Dime in Northern California.  It was one of my favorite stores and I was sad when they went out of business.  You could find the most fun items for such reasonable prices.

 Napkins are plain red or plain green cotton that I fringed - many years ago.  The napkins are sterling silver with bows - perfect for a birthday - wrapped up like a gift.


 The white salad plates and bowls are vintage opalescent Monax American Sweetheart.  I found them at a flea market - for $1.00 each piece.  I scooped up 8 plates - 8 bowls - 8 footed sherbet dishes and a large serving patter (which was $1.00 too).  They are thin and delicate - but sturdy - as Monax was the forerunner of Corelle.  The formula was bought by Corning so they could make nearly unbreakable dishes.



The flatware is  1847 Rogers Brothers Sterling - in the Inspiration pattern - from a thrift store.  $7.95 for service for 8 plus serving pieces - because there were two salad forks missing.


 Dinner was chicken enchilada casserole, with rice and beans

The grandsons got to use Theodore Bear's Christmas plates.
 The flocked velvet mouse in the hurricane lantern is from a kit in the late 60s.  For $4.95 a month you would be sent a kit with all the supplies needed for the project.  From time to time I have  had to change the ribbon - but the mouse and the tinsel are original - as is the hurricane lantern.
 Dessert was chocolate birthday cake with red and green sprinkles.
 And for nibbles, Chex Party Mix - with small glass bowls for individual servings.  The Santa jar was made by our son when he was in Kindergarten.  The teacher cleaned out candle jars that were used on tables at restaurants and the kids made the jars into Santa.  Each year - for 43 years now, we have filled Santa with the Party Mix.  One day Santa will go to live with our son.

Would you like a piece of cake?
A wonderful birthday party with our great family.
In California - our daughter's first birthday

Mosaic Monday

mosaics are made at ipiccy.com 

11 comments:

J said...

What a happy family gathering! You thought of everything! Your tables always look so inviting, and I'm amazed at the prices you get on the pretty vintage things you find. My "second-to-newest" grandson has his birthday the day after Christmas, so my daughter will eventually be combining those two events like you do.

Donna said...

A wonderful feast and fabulous table...love the flatware! Many happy birthdays to your family and Merry Christmas!

Maggie said...

How lovely. All those wonderful treasures old and new all put to good use. Delicious food to! I hope you enjoy all your celebrations.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Scottish tableware and Mexican food -- now THAT'S fusion cuisine! Happy birthday to your daughter.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Plaid is so pretty for this time of year and your table looks lovely JoAnn. The birthday cake with red and green sprinkles caused me to smile, a colourful December dessert.
Merry Christmas!

Marigene said...

Beautiful table...love the plaid/pine cone plates. I can't believe you waited so long to use them. What a steal, I mean deal on the sterling flatware. Do I see pizza on one of the grand's plate? LOL There is always one in the family that doesn't like Mexican food!
Merry Christmas.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Happy Birthday to your daughter. Your tablescape and food looks yummy.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Margie said...

What a festive table setting! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful beautiful setting. I have that very tablecloth on my table right now!! Funny huh.
We have November, December and January birthdays here--great celebrating.
MB

Kay said...

Everything works! The plaid plates are beautiful...and the Monax is lovely, too. I don't think I've seen it before, or perhaps I did and didn't appreciate it. I can't get over your bargains. Incredible!

Powell River Books said...

Wayne and I celebrate of anniversary on Christmas Eve. We got married by the tree and my parent's house back in 1981. Time sure flies. - Margy