Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Wildflowers

Carpets of wildflowers everywhere!

 Dandelions are prolific this year - this interesting patch was on the lawn in front of a house - the dandelions grew in this oval - and no place else on the lawn.  The fairies dance there at night.
 Horse pastures covered with dandelions

 I don't know the name of this - it is growing in a wildflower garden at the back entrance to Birch Bay State Park. I'm sure my readers will help with the name.
 And at the edge of the woods near Birch Bay were some Trillium - with their three leaves and three petaled flowers.

 Wild bleeding heart and to the left is the beginning spike of Horsetail Fern.  Horsetail Ferns are the oldest plant on the earth - having been around for over 275 million years.

The way the Horsetail Fern grows - with descending smaller spaces between the greenery nearer the top of the fern, led John Napier to the discovery of logarithms and the decimal about 1580.
Oregon Grape - Mahonia - blooms in masses along the roadsides and edges of forests.  The birds will feast on the dark blue/purple berries in the autumn.  It can be used for jelly also - and the roots have many medicinal uses.  It is the state flower of Oregon.

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the wildlfowers and the dandelions. Pretty series of photos. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend!

Tom said...

...my lawn is loaded with Dandelions too!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely to see your photographs, I love these flowers, in fact any flowers ... they are just so nice.
Many thanks for the additional information too, that was interesting.

All the best Jan

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I saw so many wildflowers when I was a kid on the prairie -- I miss that now.

Rose said...

These are beautiful!

Julie Fukuda said...

Glad I don't have to weed that dandelion patch! We had lots of trilliums in the woods where I grew up and that is one of the spring flowers I miss seeing. I have to admit, the weeds we have here are not as pretty ans those you have shown.

Granny Sue said...

Lovely! The one you don't know is heal-all :) I like that oregon grape. wish it grew here.

Kim said...

Indeed....Spring has arrived with gusto in your little corner of the world. LOVE all your gorgeous photos of the wildflowers. There must be a heavenly fragrance everywhere!