Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shorebirds

I've been looking for shorebirds lately - and not finding many.  I'd love to find a big flock of them one day.  But I had fun the other day going to Birch Bay - and just finding a few.


The first shorebirds we found were not even on the shore - they were up on the lawn in Birch Bay State Park.  Semipalmated Killdeer 
They move so fast that I had to aim the camera far ahead of where I thought they were going and hope for a bird in the photo. 
Then in town we saw just one of them on the beach 
Such a pretty little bird 



There on the beach, in the small waves breaking on the stones, were semipalmated sandpipers 
Semipalmated having to do with their toes only being partially webbed 
They are a small sandpiper - only about 5" tall 
They don't gather in large flocks, just a few together at a time 




And then the Killdeer and the Sandpipers were together on the beach 
Searching for food among the smooth stones  
For size comparison, a seagull floated by

2 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Very similar to our shore birds Jo Ann - I love them.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You got some great shots. How I adore shorebirds!