Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Lummi Island - Day of Eagles

Our trip to Lummi Island was filled with eagles.  We counted over 100 - though I couldn't get photos of all of them. It was fun seeing them up in the trees or flying overhead.
Right off we spotted this eagle up in a tree by the beach

Farther along - at the exact spot where I hurt my back  last summer - we spotted some eagles up in the trees - again - near the beach.  There are five of them - hint - three in the tree on the left, one in the third tree from the left and one in the last tree.
Closer of the three in the first tree
A Golden Eagle in the third tree.  You can tell the difference between a juvenile Bald Eagle and a Golden Eagle by the beak  -  the Golden Eagle has a blue beak.

One bald eagle flew off into another tree - just as the snow was starting to fall.

Two more eagles in bare trees

Bald Eagles - they have a nest nearby
And then on the way home I spied these eagles on a rock - down a bank.  But there was just enough room to pull off the road safely.
The female Bald Eagle is 35 to 37 inches, and is larger than the male.  Wingspan ranges from 72 to 90 inches

They can fly to an altitude of 10,000 feet, and during level flight, reach about 30 to 35 mph.

They weigh from ten to fourteen pounds, and have very light bones, because they are hollow.  

They have about 7,000 feathers and live as long as 30 years.
It was a fabulous day - a ferry ride - eagles - strange things and a good time.

Nature Notes 
Wild Bird Wednesday 
Rurality Blog Hop 

19 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, wowwwwww! These are amazing photos and facts. I see more hawks than eagles here, it every now and then, I see an eagle and am awed. Those bald eagles.... Gorgeous! Their heads are so beautiful. Aks for sharing this with us, JoAnn!

xoxoxox

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Aks= thanks.

J said...

Fascinating! I had no idea that the female was larger than the male. I love playing "Where's Waldo" in your silhouette shots of the trees, looking for these majestic creatures!

Kay said...

Great post! What a day you had! I don't see many golden eagles but now I can tell them from immature balds! And thank you for the other details, too! I didn't know any of that - 10,000 feet? Wow! And it's wonderful to see the two side-by-side on the rock and see how much bigger the (apparent) female is.

Rambling Woods said...

This is a great post with a lot of info and most I didn't know. I have never seen an eagle in person. What a treat... Thank you for linking up with this weeks Nature Notes...I hope to see you again...Michelle

Jen said...

Over 100 eagles? How long does it take to drive from Texas to Alaska, I wonder? Probably more than a weekend...

Anonymous said...

How great it must have been to see so many eagles at one place! Great story.

Gordon said...

What an amazing sight that must have been, and great shots too.
All the best Gordon.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, awesome sightings of the Eagles. I love the shots of them sitting on the rocks. Very cool!

TexWisGirl said...

just amazing! love these! i'd be thrilled to see one in the wild. :)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I would love to see these in the wild too! My kids have been seeing lots of them. I guess I'm not in the right place at the right time.
Just remembered that I have a picture I will be sending you.

Mary said...

They are so magnificent - I've never seen that many in one area. Love your pics JoAnn, especially the ones near the water - great job!

Hugs - Mary

Carole M. said...

just wonderful that you were able to see these glorious raptors

Anonymous said...

What a treat to see all those eagles!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This is so amazing... I am ecstatic to have one nest near us (one surviving baby so far this year ...last year they fledged two). Can't imagine seeing so many in one spot...glorious. We hope to travel to Alaska this summer... I hope we see these eagles (my husband is doing all the planning, so I am not sure where exactly we'll be going).

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! What a sight and treasure you got to photograph so well ~ beautiful! ~ thanks,

artmusedog and carol
www.acreativeharbor.com

Lmkazmierczak said...

So majestic...Can see why they are the official National Bird emblem♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/screened-print/

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful photos of these great birds!

Carletta said...

What an awesome experience!