Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

One More Time

Some of you might remember when I was crocheting a round pineapple tablecloth - way back in November of 2013.

After that blog post I redid what I had taken out - and it still would not lie flat - I  didn't even document the sadness that was me undoing the entire tablecloth and putting it aside forever.

Well - not forever - as I've decided to give it another try.
It started with this pretty table runner last week - I love anything crocheted in the pineapple design, so I thought I'd give it  a try.  At first my gauge wasn't right so I moved up to a bigger sized crochet hook - and the gauge was perfect.
A size 4 steel crochet hook - next to a small mechanical pencil, for size comparison.  It isn't the smallest crochet hook I've ever used, I've crocheted with a size 12 (the higher the number the smaller the crochet hook) using sewing machine thread weight.
 I was enjoying the pattern as I crocheted, but in the back of my mind was always the round tablecloth - after all - we had bought a round table just so I could have my round pineapple tablecloth.

 Then I decided to try the pineapple pattern tablecloth one more time - and using the size 4 crochet hook and size 10 crochet thread - it is working out perfectly. 

 I'll keep you updated as I go along - I am only on round 29 so far, the beginning of of 16 pineapple designs.  When it is the size I want it will have 128 pineapples, so I have a long way to go.  I am really enjoying it now that I've figured out the right size hook and thread.  The original pattern called for size 20 thread (thinner than size 10) and a size 12 crochet hook - but size 20 and a size 4 hook are working out well for me.

Anyone else out there crocheting anything?

9 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I can knit, but have never mastered crochet! Things usually get wider and wider with every turn, but sometimes narrower and narrower. Sad but true. Your tablecloth looks lovely!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The portion you've completed so far is BREATH-TAKING! No wonder you wanted to crochet one so much -- even buying a round table to display it! Your persistence has paid off.

Julie Fukuda said...

Long ago I wanted a crocheted tablecloth, and since they were too expensive, I decided to make one. My table is round and has leaves that can expand it to oval. I made a round one and then a different size for each extension.
I like Japanese patterns because they are in graph form and more visual than mathematical.

The Weaver of Grass said...

It is absolutely lovely so far - can't see any reason why it shouldn't remain so until finished. I would guess that the change of hook size is possibly the reason. It is so long since I crocheted that I am not sure I could do it now.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Your crochet work is pretty. I like the Pineapple design. Happy October! Enjoy your day and week ahead.

Mary said...

How absolutely beautiful JoAnn - and what patience you have! If I ever have to re-do something I usually give up, not patient enough!

I'm off on a very big trip tomorrow - UK, Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Western Sahara and Cape Verde Islands - so don't have time to write much.
Just nice to see you here and I hope your health has improved and all is well my dear.
Take care and enjoy the lovely autumn weather.
Mary X

Angie said...

JoAnn - I don't crochet, but my Mother does, and she has made many treasures with the pineapple pattern. So glad you decided to give it another try - it is looking GORGEOUS! Thanks for your recent visit to my blog - it is nice to re-connect with you.

Kim said...

Oh, you are clever, JoAnn! Your beautiful pineapple patterned tablecloth is going to be beautiful. I love that pattern.

Kim said...

Oh, you are clever, JoAnn! Your beautiful pineapple patterned tablecloth is going to be beautiful. I love that pattern.