Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

More Hats

Every year I am privileged to make hats for those who need them.  I gather yarn from thrift stores, yard sales or donations from friends and family.  Many of Don's co-workers have donated yarn for this project.
 Some of hats get a pretty flower
 Some get pom-poms

 And some are plain - and some have fancy stripes
 I woke up early on Friday morning - was browsing through FaceBook and up popped an ad for "for sale Whatcom County" - the first photo was of yarn, and it had been posted just two hours earlier - someone else was up really early on Friday.
 I contacted the seller and we made arrangements to pick up the yarn - she said there were 23 skeins, and she was asking $25.00 - what a bargain.
 Sorting the yarn - some has a price tag of $1.17 - and some has price tags from Sprouse-Reitz - I don't even know if that store is still in business anymore.
 Stacking the yarn in a huge laundry basket - there are going to be lots of fun variegated hats!
 Good colors - the group that distributes the hats asks for some darker color hats.
 Another layer
 And yet another
 It goes on and on - the huge trash bag of yarn seems to be bottomless
 And more!
The basket is full to overflowing - there were 48 skeins of yarn - barely over 52 cents a skein.  And there should be around 75 hats from this stash of yarn.  It will keep my fingers busy this coming year.


4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow! You hit the motherlode!

JanF said...

Thank you for doing this! Your hats look terrific. I may even see someone wearing one of yours when we volunteer for the Community meals!
On Saturday there will be a distribution of coats.
Your fingers will be busy and you are doing so much good. I have a feeling this may be one of the colder winters.

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh, I love those hats. It makes me recall I have an unfinished hat on a round needle and using one of those same variegated yarns you have. I'd better put that back on my list.

Powell River Books said...

That's a wonderful thing to do. Here in Powell River they are distributing jackets and blankets to the homeless through the Salvation Army. They are also completing a 40 unit housing project for homeless individuals. The 40 individuals were selected from over 80 applicants. It is taking longer to finish, but they hope to have occupancy sometime in November. - Margy