Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Monday, February 18, 2019

Forty Bald Eagles

On a recent trip to Fir Island (where most of the Snow Geese and Tundra Swans overwinter) we saw just over 40 Bald Eagles.  I didn't get photos of all of them - but here are some that I did get.

 Many of the eagles were  perched in the trees lining the dike by the river.

 Some were perched above the fields of Snow Geese and Tundra Swans, often with Starlings in the branches above the Eagles' heads.

 The weather that day changed often, from sunshine to cloudy to partly cloudy and back to sunshine - several times.



 I saw these two perched in a dead tree on the way home on the highway and was able to get a lucky picture of them as we zoomed by.


 More Starlings above the eagle in the tree.




 The eagles have perched here so often they have permanently deformed the top of the tree.
There were five eagles in this tree when we stopped - but one flew off before I could snap the photo.  This was our best eagle day ever.

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a feast of eagles!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

It is awesome to see so many eagles. $0 eagles in one trip is great. I am glad they are doing so well. I enjoyed your post and the photos. Enjoy your day and have a great week ahead!

The Furry Gnome said...

Our daughter reports a lot of eagles across the border in Abbotsford.

Michelle said...

Eagles are such gorgeous birds. We have some, not far from my farm, that are starting to thrive. The whole community looks out for them.

Kay said...

Wow! It's great that you get so many eagles up in your area. We can see them around here but not in the numbers that you get, which seems like heaven. The other day while the snow was still thick I saw a pair of them chasing down a seagull. Luckily, I didn't see the end of the story. They succeed by exhausting the gull, then have lunch. It's kind of sad to see.

Angie said...

JoAnn - I get excited when I see one or two eagles - I cannot even conceive of seeing 40 in one location! This makes me so happy. They have made a marvelous recovery from some years ago, don't you think?

Lorrie said...

Wow! What a great convocation of eagles! We sometimes see them in great numbers, too, especially where there are clumps of trees and flat farmland. Or if the fish are spawning in a river. Super photos.

Mary said...


Spectacular eagles and so many of them JoAnn - just amazing shots. I've never seen them around our neighborhood but there are some out at nearby lakes. I must try to visit those areas when the weather warms up - though I'm guessing it is much easier to see them now before the trees leaf out. Perhaps we can take a little jaunt that way this next weekend! Getting a bit lazy in this dreary February weather.

Enjoy your week - Mary x

Rose said...

I would love a day like that!