Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Snow Day

I woke up this morning to a strange, soft light - looked out the window - and it was SNOWING and snowing hard.  It is not supposed to last so I quickly got out the camera and started taking pictures - all through the windows, as I don't want to chance slipping in the snow.  I'm finding that there are some great shots through the window.



I like how I can see the snowflakes falling in these two shots.  These trees are across the street from our house.

And on my deck, things are looking chilly - poor little bird on a sunflower - shiver shiver .  .  .


I love the shapes of the cushion-less chairs in the snow (and yes, that is a dead elephant on the chair in back)


A lacy deck table - with the small amount of snow we got it didn't cover all the holes in the design on the table.


If you need to tie up your boat - pull up to our deck and use this cleat - it comes from our son-in-law Jason's father, just perfect for a PNW deck.


These gnomes are busy trying to sweep up the snow - well one of them is - the other seems to be resting on his laurels.

Between our house and the neighbor's in back, there is an Oso Berry bush growing.  It is the first to leaf out in spring - because it usually grows in the understory in the forests and you can already see the little buds getting ready to sprout.  The lichen on the branch is covered with the fresh snow.


Our neighbors haven't taken down their christmas lights yet - and they leave them on day and night - but it did make a good picture of the Oso Berry bush with snow and the lights in the background.

How is your weather? 














7 comments:

Folkways Note Book said...

Like all your snow photos. The gnomes are having fun and the lacy deck table is beautiful with the snow. No favorites really as, like I said. I like them all. -- barbara

A Garden of Threads said...

Nice shots, the gnomes were so cute. I had to smile, even though they can be naughty in the garden:) Hope recovery is doing well.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

It is unseasonably warm here. I am hoping we get some milder temps.

The snow is lovely there and so are your pictures.

XO,

Sheila

Lili said...

Your snow is very pretty there Jo! Love the berry and lichen in the snow! And the lacey look on the deck too. Hopefully the gnome was able to handle it all with a broom and not a shovel!

Pondside said...

We missed that snow up here on the Island. That's okay! I like my snow on the weekends, when I can stay home, by the fire. I'm glad to hear that you decided not to slip-slide around outside for those photos!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Your photos are lovely, JoAnn. I followed your link from a comment you left on Phyllis's blog and thought I'd take a minute to say hello.

I live in Arizona and we are having very cold temps (for us anyway). We are whimps when it comes to chilly!

GardenOfDaisies said...

The snowy table really does look like lace.