Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Special Red-Tailed Hawk

This is one of our favorite Red-Tailed Hawks - we have seen it for about 5 years now, from time to time.  When we go to this area  we don't always see it - and it usually is too far away for good photos.  These are by far the best photos I've gotten so far.  Sometimes we see the hawk but it is much farther away and my camera won't capture it well.
It is a partially leucistic Red-Tailed Hawk - meaning that is lacks pigments in many areas, but is not a true albino as that would mean it lacks all pigment and would even have pink eyes and beak.
The head and tail retain more of the usual coloring of a Red-Tailed Hawk

One day I hope to get a view from the front.  It is the most patient hawk I've ever photographed - it often sits for 10 to 20 minutes before flying off.
I can't tell you where we see this hawk, as there are those who like to claim rare birds as trophies and I want to keep this one safe, as much as possible.  
It is one of the most wonderful birds we've ever seen.
What rare or unusual birds have you seen?

5 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That is truly amazing! What a beautiful bird and I would have been stumped on the ID! Beautiful photos my friend! I hiked this morning and saw an eagle fly over my head just as I was getting back to my car. I'm glad I paused to look around! Enjoy your day! Hugs and hugs!

Julie Fukuda said...

The special features make it very special and easy to spot. Here, also, birders are very careful with whom to share sightings, as some birders collect photos by hanging out in the area all day with fellow camera-nuts and leave their trash behind. It happened once with a pair of rare nesting birds. The trash drew in crows, and when all the garbage had been picked over, the crows killed off the nestlings.

Granny Sue said...

HE's a beauty! Can't say I've seen anything rare or exotic here, just the usual. Although it's always exciting in the spring when the birds return from the south.

Kay said...

What a beautiful and amazing bird! It's a treat to see it. Thank you!

GreenComotion said...

What a joy to see this beautiful bird!
Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Peace :)