Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Monday, September 1, 2014

Mosaic Monday - Herons

It is Monday today - though it seems like an extra Sunday.   Here in the U.S. it is Labor Day - the last hurrah of summer - the weekend before most schools start up again - a day for honoring labor and trade organizations, begun in the 1880s.  Today it is a time for picnics, family gatherings and fun!  It officially marks the end of summer for many, though there are still many summer days left -  the tempo changes, we shift into thinking about the coming holidays, school and end of the year projects.

It is always a 3 day holiday - since Labor Day falls on the first Monday in September.  Don and I have spent the first two days of our holiday doing some house chores (kitchen cabinet doors are put up in the kitchen), having Ben and his dog Daisy over for a few hours, doing some light grocery shopping and taking a picnic to a local beach where I found a heron posing for me.  Today we have a few things to finish up around the house - then perhaps another picnic and a ride down south to Skagit (sounds like gadget) county in case there are any hawks, eagles or herons that need photographing.

I thought I would share some of this summer's herons with you today. 





And a Kingfisher and some Killdeer from Birch Bay

I have a new place for making collages - ipiccy.com - wowee is it fun.

Linda - at craftygardener.ca recommended it  - and it is just the thing I've been looking for.  I've used picasa.com for collages for a long time - but there are limitations. ipiccy has so many more options - like rounded corners and transparent backgrounds - and a lot more that I've not even had time to explore.  Thank you so much Linda - be sure and visit her blog - it is full of so many great and wonderful things.

12 comments:

Nonnie said...

I went to the site you recommended, but my Webroot warned me off it.
Your heron photos are quite lovely. Sighting herons is rare for me. Perhaps I need to take more walks along our river.
Having school start after Labor Day is long gone in our area. Many of them have been in session for almost a month, except for Ivy Tech which started just this past week.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Great captures of the herons.
Thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday.

Donna said...

JoAnn these are very wonderful mosaics so different in their geometric shapes....enjoy the holiday today.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Whenever I see your photos of herons I am reminded of our grey herons on the farm beck. I am glad humans are not amongst their prey - I would not like to be on the receiving end of that beaj.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sorry - obviously I hit the wrong key - I meant 'beak'

Helena White said...

Love your photos ...great captures!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Super shots, Jo! I so love birds, and me thinks you do, too! :-)

Beth said...

JoAnn, Your photos are astonishing!!! Wow, wow, wow! Love how you have done your mosaics too. Really special! I'll have to try ipiccy in the future. Thanks!

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh boy ... like getting a new toy ... and we get to enjoy the results of the play as well.

Montanagirl said...

Hi there. I found you via Lavender Cottage (Mosaic Monday). LOVE your mosaics! It looks like you used PicMonkey. Did you upgrade to the "Royale" feature on PicMonkey? It's the program I use too, but I'm not very good at it yet.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your heron and kingfisher photos are all just wonderful! Looks like you are having fun with the new mosaic tools!

Kay said...

Great bird shots, JoAnn! And they look wonderful in your new collages. Ipiccy sounds like fun. I may have to take a look at it.