Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Wild Flowers

The wild flowers are so pretty this time of the year.
Lupines are taking over the fields.  Masses of them.  
Lupines are often called "wolf flowers", because they take over the fields, and also when Lupines were named people thought that Lupines and wolves both killed livestock.  The name comes from the word "lupus", Latin for wolf.



 The tiny wild Fringe Cups grow along the roadsides.  The flower blossom is only just over 1/4 inch long.


And California Poppies - one of my all time favorites!!!!


What is your favorite wild flower?

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love all wild flowers! When I was a kid 50 years ago on the Canadian prairies, it was still possible to find wild crocuses, tiger lilies, ladyslippers, etc. Not any more, alas. But I still see wild roses from time to time.

Kim said...

How beautiful those Lupins are! I wish they would take over the fields here.

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful captures of the flowers. Lupines (which variety I do not know) will deform or kill calves still in the womb. If the Mama eats the Lupine in the first trimester it will paralyze the fetus. Very true---I have seen them at the ranch in Eastern Wa. Odd huh. The Indians knew!
MB