Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, July 17, 2009

A Midsummer's Scavenger Hunt

Amy-Lynn Bell, at Flandrum Hill is hosting a Scavenger hunt - let's all have some summer fun.

Here are the basic rules -

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to photograph five natural subjects that each captures the essence of one of the following elements. Each one is characterized by one or several colors that may be substituted for a literal image of the element. Post to your blog - and send a link to Amy-Lynn

  1. Fire (Red)
  2. Water (Blue or Black)
  3. Metal (White, Gold or Silver)
  4. Earth (Brown or yellow)
  5. Wood (Green)
I love scavenger hunts - always did as a kid too - and I've had a grand time searching out some wonderful things in nature to photograph - and then choosing my favorites - I could have posted a dozen of each category - but here are my final five.

1. Fire (Red)

I heard this Pileated Woodpecker before I saw him. His drumming was loud enough to draw my attention even indoors with the doors and windows closed. He was across the street near the woods and this photo was taken through the window so I wouldn't disturb him. I sometimes hear him calling from the woods, but this was the first chance I had to actually see him.

2. Water (Blue or Black)

The moon rising over the farm we lived on - the sky almost looks like water, with the clouds at the top of the mountains looking like surf, and even the air seemed blue that night. It was a magical night - the planet just above the moon showing up so brightly

3. Metal (white, gold or silver)

This little donkey is one of my all-time favorite photos. Taken in N. CA, she almost looks like an angel with the silver light reflecting off her back. We stood and talked for a long time, she seemed very interested in talking that day.

4. Earth (brown or yellow)

This cave appeared as we rounded a corner on a curvy country road. The brown above the mouth of the cave almost shone in the sunlight, with the nice contrast of the dark entrance. This photo could be for every element except red for fire. We see the (2) blue in the grasses on the left for water, (3) silver grasses on the far left for metal, (4) brown for earth and tiny yellow flowers, and (5) green in the ferns hanging from the ceiling for wood. Using our imagination we can almost see red at the top of the cave - almost.

5. Wood (green)

A funky old car in a farmer's field. We stopped at the barn for a yard sale and when we were parked we were right in front of this lovely old relic. The tree sprouting is an Elderberry, just finding a place to thrive.

I hope you enjoyed your travels with me on my scavenger hunt.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

JoAnn, these are beautiful!

Pileated woodpeckers are so big compared to the little Downy ones I see in my yard. Love that blue with the full moon. Who would have thought a donkey photographed in the sunlight could appear so angelic and metallic?

Elderberry trees are magical to start off with but one growing out of a vehicle even more so. Even the relic is green! My favorite image is the one for Earth, showing the entrance to the cave. It's dark and mysterious yet the ferns hanging upside down make it look so inviting. It really captures the essence of that element.

Well done!

Anonymous said...

JoAnn, really beautiful photos. Love the fire-red on that Pileated woodpecker. And also the moon rising...that is a great picture. Feels so peacefuly and lovely.

Jessica - Magical Mundane said...

Love the woodpecker. We had a Pileated at our old home but not at our current home, even though it is more wooded. We do have a ton of other varieties though. Also loved the donkey. Such a sweetheart. :)

Anonymous said...

I dropped by to see how you interpreted the elements! Lovely. The last picture speaks to me - nature will outlive us all. :)

Joan said...

Hi, JoAnn~~
I also am dropping by to see how you've interpreted the elements for the scavenger hunt. I like your creativity!
I never would have thought of using a bird for "fire." I really like your "water" photo, especially with the way you have described it with words. The cave is an interesting study. The old clunker with the tree sprouting through it really speaks of how nature eventually overcomes what man has done to it.
Great photos!